Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sweet Little Reminders

I've had the flu since Saturday night. My mom has been in the hospital with complications from the flu since Friday. Roman has a horrible cough & runny nose since this afternoon, so I'm afraid he's coming down with it too. Things have been pretty grim around here this week and tonight was no exception... Anthon was gone all day at work & all night at school (he still isn't home, FYI. Poor guy) and I didn't feel like doing anything but laying in bed all day! But I had 2 whinny, grouchy kids that couldn't have that, so I decided to fold the 2 loads of laundry Anthon had washed & dried ... it took me all day to fold it (& they weren't large loads, either). 
By the end of the night, I was BEAT!! I didn't have the energy to put myself to bed, much less 2 tired, getting sick kids. Well, Roman was whining to be about something (& it was the really pathetic, annoying, crying whining) & I said to him, "Just a minute, Roman. Let me finish putting away the laundry." His response was, "Oh! Ok, I help you!" and totally snapped out of his hissy fit. He helped me put all the clothes away, clean off the table, & load the dishwasher. I can't tell you how thankful I was not only for his willingness to help, but that I didn't have to clean with a crying toddler at my heels!! Then, as I was putting Sterling to bed I started to sing "I am a Child of God" and Roman totally sang, word for word, along with me- He has never done that before and it was the sweetest, cutest, most heart warming experience! I totally had tears (happy ones) running down my cheeks and said to him, "Romey, I didn't even know you knew that song." and he said back, "Yeah, Mommy, I knows that song. It's child of God. I like it!"
I'm so thankful for the sweet little reminder I received tonight, letting me know that life isn't THAT bad, and that all the work I'm doing as a mother, trying to teach him, isn't just going in one ear & out the other!!

2 comments:

court said...

that is so sweet! it is always so nice to get those reminders that you are doing good and it is worth it!

Pace & Gwen said...

Oh I love it!! I wish I were there to bring your dinner... such a sweet pic of Roman!! See in a few days :)